Discover the basic principals behind the chiropractic technique
THE NATURAL PROGRESSION OF OUR SPINE CURVATURE
At about the 1 year mark the child begins to stand and walk and often has that very cute posture where its belly hangs down and its butt sticks out. The is the formation of the second developmental lordosis known as the lumbar spine.
When a baby is born it arrives in the fetal position and the spine is shaped like a C. This primary C-shaped curve in your mid-back is called a kyphotic curve because it is convex in the back and concave in the front from a side/profile view.
As the newborn evolves it begins to lift its head and bends the curve into the opposite direction. This is the first developmental curve is formed in the neck and is called a lordotic curve because the convexity now faces forward and the concavity faces the back of the body. The lordotic curve holds the head upright against gravity.
Notice the sacrum remains curved in the same direction as the mid back.
MOVEMENT OF THE SKULL BONES DURING RESPIRATION
An important component of SOT's dynamic healing process is restoring the Primary Respiratory Mechanism. This is the pumping of CSF up and down the spinal column and throughout the skull. CSF serves several purposes:
- Buoyancy: The total mass of the human brain is about 1400 grams. The net weight of the brain when suspended in the CSF is equivalent to 25 grams. The brain exists in neutral buoyancy which allows it to maintain its density without being impaired by its weight and prevent the cutting off of its own blood supply
- Protection: CSF protects the brain tissue from injury when jolted or hit during crashes, sports injuries or any type of physical trauma. Insulating qualities of CSF act to prevent concussions, brain damage and death.
- Chemical stability: CSF flow allows for regulation of the distribution of neurotransmitters, hormones, glucose, enzymes and protective white blood cells. When these chemicals interact with nerve cells they create your INNATE INTELLIGENCE. This is the very essence of what makes you YOU, including; personality, memories, instinct, intuition.
- Regulates intracranial pressure/prevents ischemia: When ischemia occurs the brain is deprived of oxygen and glucose. These nutrients are vital to healthy tissue structure and proper metabolic function.
- Clearing waste: CSF is a critical part of brain's lymphatic system and flushes metabolic toxins or waste from the brain's tissues through the blood brain barrier.
THE SACRO OCCIPITAL TECHNIQUE
The Sacro Occipital Technique (SOT) is a comprehensive analysis and correction system of the human body that combines the Osteopathic approach of cranial and organ therapy with the spinal and extremity work of Chiropractic. As my knowledge of this technique began to grow I chose to supplement it by adding the deepest of “deep tissue” work known as Neuro-Muscular Therapy.
When I arrived at chiropractic school in 1994 I serendipitously moved upstairs to a brilliant upper class student with calm, cerebral personality who clearly explained that I MUST attend the Sacro-Occipital Technique (SOT) club on campus where she taught. She gave a myriad of reasons why, including:
- SOT was extremely gentle and produced immediate results in a fraction of the time of traditional chiropractic techniques that elicited “cracks” and “pops” in a person’s neck and spine.
- SOT is one of the most thoroughly researched and tested methods of healing the human body in the world of chiropractic.
- The bones of the skull move upon respiration, allowing the clinician to further accelerate the healing process by correcting this movement.
- The human body was flush with neurological, orthopedic and soft tissue “indicators” that led to a consistent, reliable, repeatable path of diagnosis and correction of malfunctioning body function, including the internal organs.
SOT is holistic, profoundly comprehensive, utterly logical and extremely gentle.
Thank you Dr. Bonnie Slone!!!
SOT is based on the painstaking and comprehensive research of osteopath and chiropractor Dr. Major Bertrand DeJarnette that he conducted from his graduation in 1924 to his death in 1992. His life’s work is responsible for discovering and/or organizing some of the most amazing anatomical and physiological concepts into an infallible holistic approach to natural manual medicine. Such as:
- The brain and spinal cord are held within a baglike system of soft tissues referred to as ”dura”. The dura is filled with fluid and is tethered to the inside of the skull and spinal column. This fluid filled dura provides safety, stability and nourishment to the brain and spinal cord.
- Your heart and lungs work in conjunction to form a turbine that powers the most important pulse in the body, the Primary Respiratory Mechanism (PRM). This PRM is a pumping action that occurs between the sacrum in the pelvis and the occipital bone in the back of the skull when you breathe. With every breath and heartbeat this pump bathes your brain and spinal cord with Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF).
- CSF is loaded with proteins, hormones, enzymes and nutrients that interact with your nervous system to animate your consciousness. If your heart stops it can be shocked back into beating. If your lungs cease breathing, CPR can restore their function. The halting of this precious pumping mechanism is true death.
- The interaction of the proteins, hormones and nutrients in the CSF with living nervous tissue to animate your INNATE INTELLIGENCE which is the source of a person’s: personality, memory, conscious thought, instincts and intuition.
Dr. DeJarnette discovered the 3 progressive stages of dysfunction of this pumping mechanism that are directly related to the stability of the dura and the pelvis. These stages have specific indicators in the body that account for musculoskeletal disorder (pain) and internal organ dysfunction (disease). He also proved that there are a series of neurological indicators within the trapezius muscles that directly correlate to imbalances within the spine.
This led to his discovery and mapping of a series of fibers in the skull (Occipital Fibers) that indicate internal organ imbalance which led to “CMRT”, a system of restoring balance to the organs that aids in curing of a broad spectrum of disease processes that emanate from the organs.
Dr. DeJarnette’s crowning achievement was his in-depth study of the subtle movements cranial bones and joints (sutures) during respiration. He determined that their proper balance led to improved function of the nervous system. This is an extremely powerful and understated tool in healing the body.
To complete SOT as a comprehensive holistic system Dr. DeJarnette developed his Extremity Manual for proper correction of the body’s extremity bones and joints (arms, legs, wrists, elbows, knees shoulders, ankles, feet and hands)
It is with tremendous conviction that I can say that SOT is the primary reason I can address a patient’s chief complaint in just a handful of visits over a 2 to 3-week period where other chiropractors schedule patients for 2 dozen visits over a 45 to 60-day period. I have been honing this approach since 1994 and can produce profound results for you in a remarkably short timeframe.